The urinary tract is comprised of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra (see Figure 1). A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection caused by pathogenic organisms (for example, bacteria, fungi, or parasites) in any of the structures that comprise the urinary tract. However, this is the broad definition of urinary tract infections; many authors prefer to use more specific terms that localize the urinary tract infection to the major structural segment involved such as urethritis (urethral infection), cystitis (bladder infection), ureter infection, and pyelonephritis (kidney infection). Other structures that eventually connect to or share close anatomic proximity to the urinary tract (for example, prostate, epididymis, and vagina) are sometimes included in the discussion of UTIs because they may either cause or be caused by UTIs. Technically, they are not UTIs and will be only be briefly mentioned in this article.
UTIs are common, leading to between seven and 10 million doctor visits per year. Although some infections go unnoticed, UTIs can cause problems that range from dysuria (pain and/or burning when urinating) to organ damage and even death. The kidneys are the active organs that produce about 1.5 quarts of urine per day. They help keep electrolytes and fluids (for example, potassium, sodium and water) in balance, assist in the removal of waste products (urea), and produce a hormone that aids in the formation of red blood cells. If kidneys are injured or destroyed by infection, these vital functions can be damaged or lost.
While most investigators state that UTIs are not transmitted from person to person, other investigators dispute this and say UTIs may be contagious and recommend that sex partners avoid relations until the UTI has cleared. There is general agreement that sexual intercourse can cause a UTI. This is mostly thought to be a mechanical process whereby bacteria are introduced into the urinary tracts during the sexual act. There is no dispute about the transmission of UTIs caused by sexually transmitted disease (STD) organisms; these infections (for example, gonorrhea and chlamydia) are easily transmitted between sex partners and are very contagious. Some of the symptoms of UTIs and sexually transmitted diseases can be similar (pain and foul smell).
More useful info:
- http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov -- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Clearinghouse
- www.urologyhealth.org -- American Urological Association
- www.acog.org -- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are infections of the urethra, bladder, ureters, or the kidneys, which comprise the urinary tract.
- E. coli bacteria cause the majority of UTIs, but many other bacteria, fungi, and parasites may also cause UTIs.
- Females have a higher risk for UTIs than most males, probably because of their anatomy; other risk factors for UTIs include any condition that may impede urine flow (e.g., enlarged prostate, congenital urinary tract abnormalities, and inflammation). Patients with catheters or those who undergo urinary surgery and men with enlarged prostates are at higher risk for UTIs.
- Symptoms and signs of UTI vary somewhat depending on sex, age, and the area of the urinary tract that is infected; some unique symptoms develop depending on the infecting agent.
- UTIs are diagnosed usually by isolating and identifying the urinary pathogen from the patient; there are some home tests available for presumptive diagnosis.
- There are home remedies for UTI, but most may, at best, help reduce the risk or discomfort of UTIs. They are not considered cures for the disease.
- There can be many complications of urinary tract infections, including dehydration, sepsis, kidney failure, and death.
- If treated early and adequately, the prognosis is good for most patients with a UTI.
- Although there is no vaccine available for UTIs, there are many ways a person may reduce the chance of getting a UTI
Useful Search Queries:
over the counter meds
over the counter medicine
over the counter medications
over the counter drugs
over the counter pharmacy
over the counter clomid
over the counter clomid substitute
over the counter clomid sales
generic over the counter clomid at walmart
is there an over the counter clomid
order clomid over the counter
can you buy clomid over the counter
can i get clomid over the counter
can i buy clomid over the counter
can you get clomid over the counter
is clomid an over the counter drug
is clomid available over the counter
clomid over the counter australia
can you buy clomid over the counter in australia
can i buy clomid over the counter in south africa
can i buy clomid over the counter in australia
can clomid be bought over the counter
Over the counter medication for uti
uti over the counter medications
over the counter antibiotics
can you buy clomid over the counter uk
can clomid be purchased over the counter
buying clomid over the counter uk
can you buy clomid over the counter in dubai
can clomid be sold over the counter
can you purchase clomid over the counter
can u get clomid over the counter
over the counter drugs like clomid
over the counter equivalent to clomid
over the counter clomid for women
over the counter substitute for clomid
over the counter form of clomid
how to get clomid over the counter
generic clomid over the counter
how can i get clomid over the counter
how to buy clomid over the counter
is clomid over the counter
over the counter meds for uti
over the counter antibiotic
over the counter amoxicillin
antibiotics over the counter
is clomid sold over the counter
can you buy clomid over the counter in uk
can i purchase clomid over the counter
over the counter medicine like clomid
clomid over the counter online
over the counter version of clomid
over the counter similar to clomid
can you buy clomid over the counter in spain
can you buy clomid over the counter in south africa
where to buy clomid over the counter
clomid over the counter uk
can i buy clomid over the counter in uk
where can you buy clomid over the counter
where can i get clomid over the counter
where can i buy clomid over the counter
can you buy clomid over the counter in canada
can u buy clomid over the counter
buying clomid over the counter